LEWISTON, Maine - The Bowdoin College women's basketball team continued its red-hot play, dominating Bates 75-30 on Saturday to improve to 9-0 on the season.
The seventh-ranked Polar Bears (9-0) have won their last five games by at least 34 points. Bates falls to 2-6 on the year with the loss.
- Bowdoin made six of its first eight shots in the game, including a three and a layup by Abby Kelly, to open up a 13-2 lead less than four minutes in.
- Nina Davenport made a three with 21 seconds to go in the first period, and Hannah Graham answered on a Kate Kerrigan assist with eight seconds left for a 22-8 Bowdoin lead after one quarter.
- Bowdoin scored eight points off Bates turnovers in the period and outscored Bates 12-2 in the paint.
- Bowdoin's lead continued to expand throughout a lopsided second quarter, outscoring Bates 18-3 in the period to assume a 40-11 advantage at intermission.
- Bowdoin outscored Bates 10-0 in the paint and 10-0 in points off turnovers in the period, and held the Bobcats without a field goal, as all three Bates points came at the free-throw line.
- The Polar Bears led by as many as 48 points in the second half.
By The Numbers
- Abby Kelly led 13 Bowdoin players in the scoring column with 13 points, while Kate Kerrigan paced the visitors at both ends of the floor with six points, 12 rebounds, four assists, two steals and a block.
- Fallon Field and Hannah Graham both scored 10 points off the bench and grabbed six and eight rebounds apiece, respectively.
- The Polar Bears limited the Bobcats to season lows in field goal percentage (8-for-54, .148) and three-point shooting percentage (2-23, .087), and outrebounded the hosts by a 61-33 margin.
- Bowdoin will return to action when they host the Coastal Maine Classic on December 29-30 in Morrell Gymnasium. The Polar Bears open against Anna Maria on Friday, December 29 at 4:00 p.m.
- Today was the non-conference meeting between the schools, who will play their NESCAC conference game on January 5 in Brunswick.