SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - The Bowdoin College women's basketball team stormed third-ranked St. Thomas (Minn.) 80-68 to win the 2017 Skidmore Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (2-0) entered the weekend ranked 23rd in the WBCA Division III poll. St. Thomas (1-1) loses for just the second time in their last 34 games. Abby Kelly was named the Tournament MVP while Kate Kerrigan also captured All-Tournament honors.
- The Polar Bears were in control from the start against the Tommies, hitting their first six three-pointers and jumping out to a 32-19 lead after one quarter.
- Bowdoin extended their lead to 48-32 at halftime after a first half that saw them shoot 68% from the field and 77% from three-point range.
- The Polar Bears extended their lead to as many as 19 points in the second half.
- The Tommies made a late push, cutting the lead to nine points with 6:46 remaining and had a chance to get closer, but Kelly and Kerrigan knocked down consecutive three-pointers to push the lead back into double figures with under five minutes to play.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin finished at 53.7% shooting for the contest, and hit 10-20 from long distance in the win.
- The Polar Bears held a commanding 36-23 edge in rebounding for the game and got 19 points from their bench compared to nine for St. Thomas.
- Kelly was outstanding, knocking down 11 of 18 shots from the field and finishing with a career-high 27 points and eight rebounds. For the weekend she averaged 19.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists while hitting 57% of her shots.
- Kate Kerrigan ended with 11 points, nine rebounds, seven assists and two steals while Lauren Petit added 11 points as well.
- Bowdoin welcomes the University of New England to Morrell Gymnasium in their home opener on Tuesday evening at 5:30 p.m.