BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team completed the series sweep after defeating Trinity 3-1 and 5-4 in a pair of Saturday afternoon games.
The Polar Bears climb to 22-7 (7-2 NESCAC). The Bantams fall to 12-9 and 3-3 in NESCAC play.
Game One Highlights
- Jordan Gowdy earned a leadoff walk in the bottom of the first and came around to score on a Caroline Rice single to right center, giving the Polar Bears a 1-0 lead.
- The second and third innings were one-two-three innings for both sides and Bowdoin retired Trinity in the top of the fourth.
- Back-to-back doubles by Claire McCarthy and Natalie Edwards put another run on the board for the Polar Bears.
- Rice added another RBI single in the fifth, plating Ali Miller.
- With two outs in the seventh, Jenna Thomas came in to pinch hit and drove a solo shot over the fence.
- Lindsay Pressman surrended five hits with one strikeout in 4.1 innings of work for Trinity.
- Allison Rutz pitched a complete game, allowing five hits while notching eight strikeouts with just one walk.
- Rice was the only player with multiple hits in the game, going 2-for-3.
Game Two Highlights
- Rice blasted a two-run homer over the leftfield fence to give Bowdoin a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
- The Polar Bears escaped a no outs bases-loaded situation in the second, allowing just one run. Erica Merullo drove in a runner with a groundout.
- Rice drove in two more runs in the fifth as she flew out to center. McCarthy added another RBI, doubling to drive in Rutz.
- With runners on first and second in the top of the sixth, Gillian Birk tagged a double to drive in a run. Merullo pulled Trinity within one as she singled up the middle to plate a pair.
- Rachael Smith pitched a complete game, allowing eight hits while fanning one.
- Ruby Siltanen allowed five hits with three strikeouts in the start. Kate Hoadley came in to close out the game, fanning a pair.
- McCarthy had a pair of doubles while going 2-for-3.
- Samantha Witmer went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- Bowdoin hosts Bates on Friday at 4:00 p.m. for the series opener.
- Trinity plays a non-league doubleheader at Wesleyan on Tuesday.