BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team split a midweek doubleheader with in-state foe Southern Maine, collecting a series opening 5-2 win before falling 10-4 in game two.
The Polar Bears sit at 19-7, while the Huskies are 13-12.
Game One Highlights
- Caroline Rice drove in Bowdoin's first four runs of the game with a pair of RBI doubles in both the first and second innings.
- Hannah Kenney put Southern Maine on the board in the top of the third. Kenney tripled to left center, driving in Brittany Plowman, and took home herself on a throwing error.
- Ruby Siltanen added an insurance run for the Polar Bears in the sixth inning, singling and driving in Natalie Edwards.
- Samantha Roy pitched four innings for Bowdoin and allowed three hits with as many strikeouts. Kate Hoadley pitched the final three innings, giving up one hit while fanning two.
- Amber Kelly lasted two innings for USM and surrender six hits with one strikeout. Rebecca Ackerson pitched four innings and allowed two hits while fanning three.
- Plowman was the only Huskie with multiple hits in the game.
- Rice went 2-for-3 and Jordan Gowdy went 2-for-4.
Game Two Highlights
- Claire McCarthy put Bowdoin on the board with an RBI double in the first.
- The Huskies responded with a seven run second. Alexis Brown and Courtney Davis both drove in two runs and Brooke Cross walked in another. Taylor Lux put the ball in play and two more runs scored on a Bowdoin error.
- Samantha Valdivia chipped away at USM's lead, sending a three-run blast over the centerfield fence in the bottom half of the inning.
- Cross accounted for two more RBI as she doubled in the fourth and homered in the seventh. Kelly plated one more run, singling to left center.
- Plowman went 3-for-4 at the plate and Cross was 3-for-3.
- Lauren O'Shea went 3-for-3, Valdivia went 3-for-4, and Allison Rutz was 2-for-3.
- Rutz surrendered seven runs off six hits starting in the circle for Bowdoin. Siltanen pitched 4.1 innings and recorded two strikeouts and six hits allowed. Hoadley pitched the final inning, allowing no hits with a K and walk.
- Madison Greene gave up four hits and as many runs before Brown pitched six shutout innings. Brown allowed nine hits with four strikeouts and three walks.
- The Polar Bears will return to action on Friday and Saturday as they host a three-game NESCAC East Division set with Trinity at Pickard Field. Bowdoin's Sunday doubleheader against Maine-Farmington has been canceled.
- USM plays at Rhode Island College on Saturday.