BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Tufts softball team swept Sunday's doubleheader at Bowdoin to capture the series 2-1.
The Polar Bears (24-8, 6-3 NESCAC) fell 8-1 in the opener and dropped a 6-3 decision to the Jumbos (18-12, 6-4 NESCAC) in game two.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin went up early, scoring a run in the bottom of the first inning. Emily Griffin singled and quickly made her way to third following a stolen base and miscue on the play. Marisa O'Toole drove in the run with a sacrifice fly to right.
- Both teams put together strong defensive games through the fourth inning, never threatening, until Tufts exploded for seven runs in the fifth.
- With the bases loaded, a misplay behind the plate for Bowdoin allowed Christian Cain to score. Emily Serata quickly drove in Carrie Copacino with a groundout and Cassie Ruscz pushed the remaining base runner across the plate with a single to left. Later, with a pair of runners in scoring position, Summer Horowitz tagged a two-run single to right. Jamie Stevens capped the inning two-run blast.
- The Jumbos added their eighth and final run in the top of the seventh inning. Cain doubled to right and drove in Stevens.
- Allison Rutz suffered the loss after allowing six runs and nine hits in 4.1 innings of work. Samantha Roy recorded a strikeout in 2.2 innings in the circle, while allowing three hits and two runs.
- Gillian O'Connor earned the win behind six innings in the circle. O'Conner struck out three and allowed four hits.
- Stevens went 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBIs off the homerun. Horowitz was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs.
- Ali Miller paced Bowdoin, going 2-for-3 at the plate.
Game Two Highlights
- Neither team broke through until the fourth inning, when Tufts put up a pair of runs and Bowdoin responded with a tally.
- Cain singled up the middle to drive in runners on second and third. The Polar Bears responded in the bottom half of the inning as Lauren O'Shea drove in Caroline Rice scored.
- The Jumbos added four runs during their next at bat. Raven Fournier doubled down the right field line to drive in Stevens and put runners on second and third. Horowitz followed up with a bases clearing single to left. Maggie Hoffman rounded out the inning with an RBI sacrifice fly to right.
- Bowdoin put runs on the board in the fifth and seventh inning, but couldn't close the gap. O'Toole recorded an RBI single to right in the fifth and Griffin had a sacrifice fly to center in the seventh.
- Griffin pitched 4.1 innings for Bowdoin and allowed nine hits with two strikeouts. Kate Hoadley allowed a pair of hits and had three K's in relief.
- O'Connor recorded her second victory of the day after pitching six inning and allowing eight hits.
- Horowitz and Cain both went 2-for-4 with two RBIs each.
- Jordan Gowdy went 2-for-3 at the plate while Rice and Rutz both had doubles.
- Bowdoin hosts UNE on Tuesday in a 3:30 p.m. doubleheader.
- Tufts returns home to host Wheaton at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday.