STANDISH, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team continued its winning ways with a Tuesday evening doubleheader sweep at Saint Joseph's College.
The Polar Bears (23-6) extend their winning streak to 12 consecutive games. The Monks fall to 9-13. Bowdoin took game one in a 9-5 final and ousted the Monks 11-0 in a five-inning game two.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin jumped out to a quick three run lead in the top of the first. Emily Griffin got the Polar Bears started with an RBI double to left and eventually scored on a groundout by Caroline Rice. Claire McCarthy rounded out the inning with a run producing single to right.
- The Monks responded in the bottom half of the inning with a sacrifice fly.
- Allison Rutz tagged a two-run double in the second to jump-start the offense. Marisa O'Toole later scored on a passed ball and Rice again recorded an RBI groundout.
- Saint Joseph's made it 7-2 in the fourth off a Jennifer Murphy double.
- O'Toole rounded out the run production for Bowdoin in the fifth with a double to right that drove in a pair of runs.
- The Monks got a pair of runs back in the bottom half of the inning, but were unable to narrow the gap in their final two chances.
- Kate Hoadley got the start in the circle and earned the win behind four innings of work and two runs allowed. Griffin pitched the final three innings and allowed as many runs.
Game Two Highlights
- In the first inning, Bowdoin put up six runs to quickly put the game out of reach. The scoring began as Ali Miller crossed home on a wild pitch and continued with back-to-back RBI singles from O'Toole and Rice. McCarthy added to the tally with a double to right. Samantha Valdivia recorded a sacrifice fly to right, driving in Lauren O'Shea, and Jordan Gowdy had a run producing single to right.
- Bowdoin pushed the score to 8-0 in the third. Griffin and O'Toole both added to their RBI tallies.
- In the following inning, McCarthy tagged a triple to left and drove in two more runs for Bowdoin. Gowdy followed up with a double to right, scoring McCarthy.
- Miller, O'Toole, and O'Shea were all 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Samantha Roy earned the win following four innings of work, allowing just one hit. Rutz pitched the final inning and both pitchers recorded a strikeout.
- The Polar Bears play their first home series of the season, scheduled to begin Friday at 4:00 p.m., against Tufts.