WATEVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team earned a series sweep against Husson University with a tight 2-1 victory in game one and 8-5 win in game two on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears improve to 14-6 while dropping the Eagles to 12-8.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Allison Rutz put the ball in play and gave Ali Miller the opportunity to score from second.
- Olivia Smith evened the game in the top of the fourth with a sacrifice fly.
- Back-to-back doubles by Rutz and Claire McCarthy gave Bowdoin the go-ahead run, with McCarthy recording the RBI.
- Rutz put in seven innings in the circle to earn the win. The first-year allowed just two hits while notching three strikeouts.
- Rutz and McCarthy both went 2-for-3 at the plate.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears exploded for four runs in the bottom of the second inning to take the lead. Miller drove in the game's first run with a hard chip to first that was misplayed. Soon after, a bases loaded walk by Emily Griffin doubled the tally. Jordan Gowdy crossed home on a wild pitch to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Caroline Rice doubled to left field for her first RBI of the day and gave the Polar Bears a 4-0 lead after two.
- Husson scored a pair of runs in both the third and fifth innings to even the game.
- Lauren O'Shea gave the lead back to Bowdoin in the fifth with a bases loaded triple to right, driving in Rice, McCarthy, and Samantha Valdivia.
- Rutz hit a two-out single to right in the bottom of the sixth, allowing Griffin to come around from second and give the Polar Bears an 8-4 edge.
- The Eagles put one more on the board in their last at-bat, but were unable to close the gap.
- Samantha Roy went 4.2 innings for the Polar Bears and allowed six hits, four runs, with five strikeouts. Katie Hoadley earned the win with 2.1 innings of work and two hits allowed. Hoadley fanned a pair of batters.
- O'Shea went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- The Polar Bears travel to Connecticut for a non-conference doubleheader at Wesleyan beginning at 2:00 p.m.