LEESBURG, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team climbed to .500 following a pair of Friday wins against Becker and Framingham State.
The Polar Bears rebounded from a slow start to reach a 3-3 record following a 9-1 victory over Becker (2-7) and a 6-0 win against Framingham State (6-5).
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin got on the board in the bottom of the second, capitalizing on several Becker miscues to take a 3-0 lead. Lauren O'Shea drove in the game's first run with a single up the middle that allowed Claire McCarthy to score from second. Ali Miller put the ball in play towards the shortstop, allowing another run to score, and Emily Griffin capped the inning with an RBI groundout to second.
- The Hawks responded in the following inning with a run off a sacrifice fly to right.
- The Polar Bears exploded for a six-run third to push the score to 9-1. Allison Rutz and Natalie Edwards led off with back-to-back singles to left, putting runners on first and second. Marisa O'Toole cleared the bases with a triple to right.
- Jordan Gowdy tagged another single to left, scoring O'Toole, and Miller sent a sacrifice fly to center to drive in another run. Gowdy eventually came around to score after several throwing errors on a failed pickoff attempt. Caroline Rice tallied the game's final RBI with a single to second.
- O'Toole and Miller each recorded a pair of RBI. O'Shea and Gowdy each had a stolen base.
- Allison Rutz earned the win in the circle behind a five-inning performance. The first-year allowed just two hits and one run while fanning three.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears shut out Framingham State to cap the Friday series. The Rams combined for just four hits over seven innings.
- Rice drove in the game's first run with a chip to shortstop that allowed Gowdy to score in the opening inning.
- A wild pitch in the fifth gave Samantha Valdivia an opening to score and double Bowdoin's lead, quickly followed by an RBI single from Griffin. Rice tagged another single to put the Polar Bears up 4-0 after five.
- Rice continued to drive in runs in the top of the final inning with an RBI single. Rutz tagged a double to drive in the final run.
- Rice paced the Polar Bears with three RBI in the game and went 2-for-4 at the plate. Gowdy recorded two stolen bases.
- Griffin earned the win in the circle, going a full seven innings while surrendering four hits and no runs. The senior tallied seven strikeouts and a pair of walks.