Mar 16, 2017
LEESBURG, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team picked up its first win of the season in a 10-2 victory against Endicott on Thursday morning before falling 8-4 to Arcadia.
The Polar Bears are 1-3 after two days of play in Florida. The Gulls sit at 4-3 while Arcadia is 6-2.
Game One Highlights
- Every run in the game was unearned, as the teams combined for 10 fielding errors.
- Bowdoin took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first off a sacrifice fly to right off the bat of Natalie Edwards. Edwards pushed the Polar Bears second run of the day across the plate with a single to right in the third.
- Caroline Rice tagged an RBI single down the left field line in the top of the fifth and Claire McCarthy drove in two more off a ground-rule double to right center.
- The Polar Bears exploded for a five-run sixth inning, going up 10-0. Ali Miller and Rice each drove in a run, with Miller chopping a shot to shortstop and Rice singling up the middle. Samantha Valdivia singled down the right field line and earned a pair of RBI while allowing McCarthy to score on a throwing error.
- The Gulls spoiled the shutout with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth. Julia McNeill doubled to right center to record an RBI and later scored off a single to center by Jamie Hopgood.
- Rice, Edwards, McCarthy, and Valdivia all drove in a pair of runs.
- Emily Griffin earned the win in the circle for the Polar Bears, going six innings while allowing four hits and two runs. The senior recorded five strikeouts and three walks. Griffin went 2-for-4 at the plate and scored two runs.
Game Two Highlights
- Arcadia jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning as Mary Pat Murray knocked a three-run homer to left center.
- The Knights added four more runs in the second to extend their lead.
- Griffin put the Polar Bears on the board with a two-run single to right in the bottom of the second and drove in another run in the fourth. Jordan Gowdy singled to right and scored Griffin to account for Bowdoin's final run.
- Arcadia capped the game with a sacrifice fly to left in the sixth for an 8-4 win.
- Samantha Roy suffered the loss in the circle for Bowdoin after surrendering three hits and seven runs. Allison Rutz pitched the final five innings and allowed one hit, run, and walk with six strikeouts.
- Bowdoin faces Becker tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. followed by a 10:30 a.m. game against Framingham State.