Feb 18, 2017
RIPTON, Vt. – The Bowdoin nordic team enjoyed one of its best carnival showings, despite changing snow conditions, at the Middlebury Carnival.
- Friday's 15/20k skate events were mass starts, with Hannah Miller skiing near the back of the lead pack for most the race before moving into an eighth place finish. The result ties her previous best ever finish in a distance event.
- Ellie Hands also had a strong showing as she steadily moved passed a couple dozen skiers throughout the race. Rachel Zafren posted a PR in the race with a 53rd place finish.
- On the men's side, the top three racers formed a pack after a few kilometers and worked together through the remainder of the race to pass groups of competitors. Malcolm Groves finished in 20th, followed by Christian Gostout in 23rd and Sean Cork in 24th. With Gostout's finish, the entire carnival team has now scored NCAA qualifying points for the first time in team history.
- The classic sprint relay comprised two-person teams with 3x1 kilometer laps each, alternating back and forth for six laps. Miller and Lily Johnston ended the day in fourth, narrowly edged out by the second and third place teams.
- Warmer temperatures made racing on the men's side difficult, but Cork and Sam Shaheen put together a 12th place finish after a couple crashes on the course.