FALMOUTH, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team dispatched Nichols, 5-0, in less than 90 minutes on Friday morning to advance to the third round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament.
The Polar Bears (19-4) move on to Saturday where they will face the winner of the MIT-Stevens match in the regional final at 9:00 a.m. Nichols (19-4) ends a fantastic season with a loss to Bowdoin in the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year.
- Bowdoin lost two games in three doubles matches, sweeping the Bison to take a commanding 3-0 lead.
- Luke Tercek/Grant Urken (8-0), Kyle Wolfe/Jerry Jiang (8-1) and Gil Roddy/Justin Patel (8-1) made it a clean sweep for the Polar Bears
- Needing just two wins in singles play, Grant Urken posted a shutout at #2 (6-0, 6-0)
- Gil Roddy clinched it for the Polar Bears with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at #5 singles
- Bowdoin advances to the regional final on Saturday at 9:00 a.m. against the winner of Friday's other second round match between MIT and Stevens.
- The winner advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals in Chattanooga, Tenn. on May 22