AMHERST, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team came up just short on Sunday as they dropped to fourth-ranked Amherst in the third round of the NCAA Division III Tournament, 5-1.
Downing Bowdoin for the second time this season, the Jeffs reach the national quarterfinals for the sixth consecutive season. Amherst carries a 33-3 overall mark into an Elite 8 showdown against sixth-ranked Emory on Saturday, May 19 in Claremont, Calif. The Polar Bears end their season with a record of 12-9.
At first doubles, Joey Fritz and Justin Reindel defeated Sam King and Luke Trinka, 8-5. Andrew Yaraghi and Aaron Revzin fell to Bowdoin's Kyle Wolstencroft and Noah Bragg in the second slot, 9-7, while Michael Solimano and Chris Dale upended Chase Savage and Chris Lord at third doubles, 8-4.
Reindel inched Amherst closer to victory with a 6-0, 6-1 triumph at sixth singles over Hugh Mo. Solimano tripped up King at No. 3, 6-4, 6-3, while Anton Zykov earned a 7-5, 6-2 fourth singles decision over Lord.
Bowdoin was ahead in two matches - Bragg at #1 and Wolstencroft at #5 when the match was decided.
NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament Third Round
Amherst 5, Bowdoin 1
1. Fritz/Reindel (A) def. King/Trinka (B), 8-5
2. Wolstencroft/Bragg (B) def. Yaraghi/Revzin (A), 9-7
3. Solimano/Dale (A) def. Savage/Lord (B), 8-4
1. Fritz (A) vs. Bragg (B), 6-2, 2-6, 4-5 (unfinished)
2. Dale (A) vs. Trinka (B), 6-3, 4-6, 5-2 (unfinished)
3. Solimano (A) def. King (B), 6-4, 6-3
4. Zykov (A) def. Lord (B), 7-5, 6-2
5. Yaraghi (A) vs. Wolstencroft (B), 3-6, 4-5 (unfinished)
6. Reindel (A) def. Mo (B), 6-0, 6-1