BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team took three quick victories in singles play to dispatch Trinity College, 5-1, in the opening round of the NESCAC Tournament Friday.
The Polar Bears (11-8) advance to tomorrow's NESCAC semifinal match against Middlebury at 3:30 p.m. The Bantams fall to 9-8 with the loss.
Trinity jumped ahead when Daniel Carpenter and David Myers earned a win at #1 doubles against Luke Trinka and Sam King, 8-6. Bowdoin replied with an 8-4 win at #3 doubles as Chase Savage and Chris Lord defeated Rutendo Matingo and Ilya Levin. The #2 pairing went back-and-forth on multiple occasions before Noah Bragg and Kyle Wolstencroft edged Musyoka Mbithi and Ford Traff 9-7 to give the Polar Bears a key 2-1 edge heading into singles action.
Bowdoin wasted little time putting the match away behind King, who swept to a 6-0, 6-0 win at #3 singles over Matingo. Trinka followed with a 6-0, 6-3 at #2 against Ned Mandel to put the Polar Bears on the brink. Kyle Wolstencroft sealed the win at #5 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Traff.
Bowdoin 5, Trinity 1
1. Noah Bragg (BOW) vs. Daniel Carpenter (TRI) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Luke Trinka (BOW) def. Ned Mandel (TRI) 6-0, 6-3
3. Sam King (BOW) def. Rutendo Matingo (TRI) 6-0, 6-0
4. Chris Lord (BOW) vs. Musyoka Mbithi (TRI) 6-6, unfinished
5. Kyle Wolstencroft (BOW) def. Ford Traff (TRI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Hugh Mo (BOW) vs. Kayong Lee (TRI) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
1. Daniel Carpenter/David Myers (TRI) def. Luke Trinka/Sam King (BOW) 8-6
2. Noah Bragg/Kyle Wolstencroft (BOW) def. Musyoka Mbithi/Ford Traff (TRI) 9-7
3. Chase Savage/Chris Lord (BOW) def. Rutendo Matingo/Ilya Levin (TRI) 8-4