Bates Takes Early Lead in Doubles, Holds Off Bowdoin in Men's Tennis
BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bates College men's tennis team jumped to a 3-0 lead after doubles play and held off a Bowdoin rally in singles action to take its first win over the Polar Bears since 2007 in a 5-4 victory Wednesday afternoon.
The Bobcats improve to 7-8 (3-3 NESCAC) while the Polar Bears fall to 9-7 (4-3 NESCAC) with the loss.
Bates dominated doubles play and put itself in great position with a trio of wins. Timmy Berg and Pierre Planche won 9-7 at #1, Peter Yanofsky and Ben Bogard won 8-4 at #2 and Eric Ruta and Henry completed the sweep with a 9-7 win at #3.
The Polar Bears rallied in singles play, winning four of the first five completed matches. Luke Trinka (6-1, 6-3) at #2, Sam King (6-4, 6-1) at #3, Chris Lord (6-1, 6-0) at #4 and Hugh Mo (6-4, 6-2) at #6 put Bowdoin right back into contention. Bates stymied the Bowdoin rally with a win at #5 from Patrick Ordway, 6-4, 6-4, setting the stage for #1 singles.
Berg and Noah Bragg for Bowdoin battled in the tightest match of the night, with Berg holding off Bragg in a pair of tiebreakers to take the 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3) win and clinch the match for the Bobcats.
Bates 5, Bowdoin 4
1) Berg/Planche (Bates) def. King/Trinka (Bowdoin) 8-6
2) Yanofsky/Bogard (Bates) def. Wolstencroft/Bragg (Bowdoin) 8-4
3) Ruta/Lee (Bates) def. Lord/Savage (Bowdoin) 9-7
1) Berg (Bates) def. Bragg (Bowdoin) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)
2) Trinka (Bowdoin) def. Planche (Bates) 6-1, 6-3
3) King (Bowdoin) def. Feldman (Bates) 6-4, 6-1
4) Lord (Bowdoin) def. Lee (Bates) 6-1, 6-0
5) Ordway (Bates) def. Wolstencroft (Bowdoin) 6-4, 6-4
6) Mo (Bowdoin) def. Bardan (Bates) 6-4, 6-2