BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team swept doubles play en route to a 5-0 shutout of Baruch in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on Saturday.
The 10th-ranked Polar Bears improve to 14-7 with the win and advance to Sunday's Regional Final against the winner of Saturday's second contest between Trinity (Texas) and Skidmore. That match will begin at noon. The Bearcats end their campaign with a mark of 16-3.
The Polar Bears quickly earned a 2-0 advantage as Oscar Pena and Sam King dropped the first point but won the next eight to take an 8-1 victory over Artem Gorbachevskiy and Guy Goren at #1 doubles. Chris Lord and Casey Grindon earned an 8-0 win at #3 doubles for the Polar Bears before Bowdoin's first-year duo of Kyle Wolstencroft and Doug Caplan rounded out doubles play with an 8-4 victory.
Wolstencroft made quick work at #5 singles for Bowdoin by earning a 6-0, 6-3 win against Philip Bleustein. Lord sealed the win with an equally impressive 6-1, 6-1 sweep of Goren at #2 to clinch the victory.
Bowdoin 5, Baruch 0
1 Sam King (BOW) vs. Artem Gorbachevskiy (BARUCH) 6-1, 2-1, DNF
2. Chris Lord (BOW) def. Guy Goren (BARUCH) 6-1, 6-1
3. Casey Grindon (BOW) vs. Christopher Jenkins (BARUCH) 6-2, 3-2, DNF
4. Stephan Muller (BARUCH) vs. Noah Bragg (BOW) 6-4, 3-2, DNF
5. Kyle Wolstencroft (BOW) def. Philip Bleustein (BARUCH) 6-0, 6-3
6. Nicholas Fenichell (BOW) vs. Joe Laskowski (BARUCH) 6-0, 5-0, DNF
1. Oscar Pena/Sam King (BOW) def. Artem Gorbachevskiy/Guy Goren (BARUCH) 8-1
2. Kyle Wolstencroft/Doug Caplan(BOW) def. Christopher Jenkins/Stephan Muller (BARUCH) 8-4
3. Casey Grindon/Chris Lord (BOW) def. Joe Laskowski/Philip Bleustein (BARUCH) 8-0