Bowdoin Rallies in Singles Play to Beat Williams and Earn Trip to NESCAC Title Match
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team advanced to the NESCAC Championship for the first time since 2008 in a 5-3 win over second-seeded Williams College on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (13-6) will face top-seeded and top-ranked Amherst (28-2) for the conference title at 1:00 p.m. Sunday at Williams College.
Bowdoin had to rally from a 2-1 deficit after doubles play, as Doug Caplan and Kyle Wolstencroft earned the only Polar Bear point at #2 doubles. The Polar Bears dominated singles play, however, drawing even when Casey Grindon won a 7-5, 6-4 point at #4 singles. Williams answered with a win at #1 singles from Trey Meyer over Oscar Pena (7-6, 6-1) to regain the lead, 3-2.
The Polar Bears replied as Wolstencroft claimed a 6-1, 7-6 win at #6 singles and took their first lead of the day when Chris Lord rallied from a one-set deficit to earn a 2-6, 7-6, 6-1 victory at #3. First-year Noah Bragg clinched the match for Bowdoin at #5 singles when he rallied from one set down to take a 2-6, 6-2, 7-5 win.
Bowdoin is in search of its first NESCAC crown since its only title in 2008. The Polar Bears lost a 7-2 decision to Amherst earlier this season in California.
Bowdoin 5, Williams 3
1. Trey Meyer (WILM) def. Oscar Pena (BOWDOINM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
2. Felix Sun (WILM) vs. Samuel King (BOWDOINM) 3-6, 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
3. Chris Lord (BOWDOINM) def. Matt Micheli (WILM) 2-6, 7-6, 6-1
4. Casey Grindon (BOWDOINM) def. Zach Weiss (WILM) 7-5, 6-4
5. Noah Bragg (BOWDOINM) def. Bryan Chow (WILM) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Kyle Wolstencroft (BOWDOINM) def. Will Petrie (WILM) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Bryan Chow/Trey Meyer (WILM) def. Oscar Pena/Samuel King (BOWDOINM) 8-2
2. Doug Caplan/Kyle Wolstencroft (BOWDOINM) def. Felix Sun/Matt Micheli (WILM) 8-6
3. Kevin Shallcross/Will Petrie (WILM) def. Casey Grindon/Chris Lord (BOWDOINM) 8-4