Men's Tennis Cruises to NESCAC Quarterfinal Victory Over Trinity
BENNINGTON, VT - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team opened up a 3-0 lead after doubles play en route to a 5-0 win over Trinity in the quarterfinals of the New England Small College Athletic Conference Tournament on Friday afternoon.
With the win Bowdoin improves to 12-6 on the year while the Bantams of Trinity finish the season at 9-8. Bowdoin will be making its second straight trip to the NESCAC Semifinals and they will face second seed and host Williams at 1:00 p.m. Saturday.
Bowdoin won the #1 (8-6) and #3 (8-4) doubles matches and the Polar Bears' second duo of Doug Caplan and Kyle Wolstencroft edged the Bantams' pairing of Charles McConnell and Kayong Lee 9-8 to put Bowdoin in command of the match. Oscar Pena/Samuel King claimed the point at #1 for Bowdoin while Casey Grindon/Chris Lord teamed at #3.
The fourth Bowdoin point on the day came from Casey Grindon at #4 singles, where he downed Charles McConnell 6-1, 6-1. Samuel King delivered the deciding fifth point when he defeated Kayong Lee in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 at #2 singles.
Bowdoin also defeated Trinity in their regular season match-up by capturing a 6-1 victory in Hartford. The Polar Bears have now won 10 of their last 11 matches with the lone loss in that skein coming at the hands of Williams, 5-4, in Brunswick, Maine on April 28th. The last two times the Polar Bears and the Ephs have met the score of the match has been 5-4 in favor of the Ephs.
Bowdoin College 5, Trinity College 0
1. Anson McCook (TRINM) vs. Oscar Pena (BOWDOINM) no result
2. Samuel King (BOWDOINM) def. Kayong Lee (TRINM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jugal Marfatia (TRINM) vs. Chris Lord (BOWDOINM) no result
4. Casey Grindon (BOWDOINM) def. Charles McConnell (TRINM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Noah Bragg (BOWDOINM) vs. Ned Mandel (TRINM) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
6. Kyle Wolstencroft (BOWDOINM) vs. Daniel Carpenter (TRINM) 4-3, unfinished
1. Oscar Pena/Samuel King (BOWDOINM) def. Anson McCook/Ned Mandel (TRINM) 8-6
2. Doug Caplan/Kyle Wolstencroft (BOWDOINM) def. Charles McConnell/Kayong Lee (TRINM) 9-8
3. Casey Grindon/Chris Lord (BOWDOINM) def. Ilya Levin/Daniel Carpenter (TRINM) 8-4