BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Amherst College men's lacrosse team scored two late goals to rally past Bowdoin 16-15 on Saturday afternoon at Whittier Field.
The Polar Bears (0-2, 0-2 NESCAC) lose their home opener while the Mammoths (3-0, 2-0 NESCAC) remain unbeaten on the season.
- The tone was set early as the squads combined for ten goals in the opening quarter.
- Amherst jumped to a 3-1 lead before Bowdoin closed the gap and deadlocked the score at 5-5 after 15 minutes.
- The Mammoths carried a slim 9-8 lead into the break as Jon Coffey scored twice in the second quarter.
- Amherst was able to push their lead to three goals, 11-8, before a 3-0 Bowodin run, sparked by a pair of Matthew Crowell goals, evened the score at 11 apiece.
- Matt Solberg scored the go-ahead goal with :03 seconds left in the quarter to give the visitors a 12-11 lead heading into the fourth.
- The teams were tied five times in the fourth period alone, and Bowdoin took their final lead of the game on a goal by Brett Kujala with 8:11 remaining.
- Amherst tied the score with 6:30 remaining on a Jimmy McAfee goal and Matt Solberg scored the eventual game-winner with 4:08 remaining to give the Mammoths the win.
By The Numbers
- Colin Minicus scored a game-high six goals for Amherst while Jon Coffey added three scores. Solberg had two goals and two assists for the visitors.
- Bowdoin was paced by four goals from Brett Kujala. Tim Bulens and Matthew Crowell had three goals and an assist apiece for the Polar Bears.
- John Young made 12 saves for Bowdoin. Cameron Mitchell made six saves (11 GA) through three periods for Amherst before giving way to GIb Versfeld (one save, four GA) in the fourth quarter.
- The Mammoths owned a 44-43 edge in shots for the game. Bowdoin went 4-6 with the man-up while Amherst went 2-4.
- Bowdoin will head to Florida where they will battle Endicott on Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. in Davenport.
- Amherst heads to Maryland where they will face Denison in Owings Mills on Friday at 5:30 p.m.