WATERVILLE, Maine -- Ben Kujala scored five goals, including one at the third quarter buzzer, to lift Bowdoin College to a 10-8 win over Colby College in NESCAC men's lacrosse Wednesday night at Seaverns Field at Harold Alfond Stadium.
The Polar Bears improve to 8-5 overall and 6-3 in the league, while the Mules drop to 2-10 and 1-7 in the conference.
The Mules took a 1-0 lead with 10:18 left in the first quarter on Kevin Seiler's goal.
- Kujala made it 4-2 with 12:29 to halftime off a pass from Ryan Kenney. Sayre scored his first goal with 5:01 remaining, but Kujala answered again from Young with 3:51 to play.
- Seiler got his third goal of the half off another assist from Hassan with 2:12 to play in cutting Bowdoin's lead to 5-4 at halftime
- The Mules' Colton Michel scored with 8:38 left in the third quarter to tie the game at 6-6. Both teams had opportunities over the next 8:38 to score and take the lead.
- After a Colby turnover with 16 seconds left, the Polar Bears quickly got the ball up the field. Daniel Buckman's long pass went directly to Kujala in front and he turned and scored at the buzzer.
- Kujala added his fifth goal of the game from Drew Hillman just 2:03 into the final quarter for an 8-6 lead. James DiSisto tallied from Jimmy Young with 8:15 remaining and Buckman scored unassisted for the Polar Bears' final goal with 7:00 to play.
- Colby did make it a game in the final minutes. Don Vivian scored unassisted with 4:38 to go and Tucker Dietrick tallied with 2:30 remaining for the final goal. Colby had a sequence over 28 seconds with three great scoring opportunities, but two went just wide and the other was stopped by goalie Peter Mumford.
By The Numbers
- Mumford finished with six of his eight saves in the second half and added five ground balls.
- Pat Broughton was 14-for-21 on face-offs and had eight ground balls. Ryan Kenney had two caused turnovers and five ground balls, while JC Pardo had three ground balls.
- Buckman finished with two goals and an assist in support of Kujala's five goals.
- Bowdoin returns to action on Saturday when they host Endicott at 1:00 p.m. for Senior Day