Hanley's Game-Winner Lifts Bowdoin to Overtime Victory Against Wesleyan

Hanley's only goal of the game came at a great time - with 1:47 remaining in OT to give Bowdoin a 6-5 win
Hanley's only goal of the game came at a great time - with 1:47 remaining in OT to give Bowdoin a 6-5 win

BRUNSWICK, Maine - Dan Hanley scored the game-winning goal with 1:47 left in overtime to give the Bowdoin College men's lacrosse team a 6-5 win over Wesleyan on Saturday at Ryan Field.

The goal rescued the Polar Bears (7-4, 5-3 NESCAC), who allowed 19th-ranked Wesleyan (8-3, 4-3 NESCAC) to tie the score with 5.9 seconds remaining in regulation.

Six different players scored goals for Bowdoin, with Connor O'Toole recording a goal and two assists in the win. Aidan Daniell was the leading scorer for the Cardinals with a pair of tallies.

In a defensive struggle, Bowdoin carried a 3-1 lead into intermission thanks to a first-quarter marker from Will Wise and goals from Billy Bergner and Franklin Reis in the second period. Graham Macnab accounted for Wesleyan's lone goal in the opening 30 minutes.

After Wesleyan's Mike Giambano scored the lone goal for either team in the third period, cutting the Bowdoin lead to 3-2, the teams heated up in the fourth quarter. Brandon Rothman's first career goal at 12:18 improved Bowdoin's lead to 4-2 before David Murphy and Daniell scored just 57 seconds apart for Wesleyan, knotting the game at four apiece.

O'Toole appeared to put Bowdoin on top for good when he converted an unassisted goal with 4:12 to go, but Wesleyan made a late surge and Daniell netted the game-tying goal off a pass from Macnab with a mere 5.9 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime.

Wesleyan won the opening face-off of the extra session and fired two shots on net that were both saved by Bowdoin's Christopher Williamson. The Cardinals maintained possession in both instances, however, until a caused turnover by Bowdoin's Adam Fitzgerald and pick-up by Ben Brewster gave the hosts their first chance of overtime. Following a timeout, O'Toole dished a pass to Hanley just to the right of the top of the arc. Hanley unleashed a hard shot that bounced one and tucked under the crossbar to give Bowdoin the win.

Williamson finished with 14 saves for Bowdoin while Mark Simmons made six stops for Wesleyan. The Cardinals held a 37-24 advantage in shots for the game and forced 33 Bowdoin turnovers. Mike Robinson had four caused turnovers and three ground balls for the Cardinals. Ben Brewster had four caused turnovers and nine ground balls for Bowdoin.

The Polar Bears will return to action at Colby on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. The Cardinals will host Trinity in their next game on Tuesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m.