WATERVILLE, Maine – Albert Washco tallied his first career hat-trick in the Bowdoin men's ice hockey team's 6-4 setback to SUNY Potsdam on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears sit at 2-3-0 after splitting their weekend slate at the Bowdoin/Colby Faceoff Classic. Potsdam leaves Maine at 5-4-0 on the year.
- Potsdam scored three goals in the opening period. Trevor Dennis scored first with a long shot from just inside the blue line at 10:44. Bryce Ferrell added a second goal six minutes later.
- Joseph Richardson scored a power play goal in the final 31 seconds of the period, ricocheting a shot off the right post.
- Washco scored his first goal of the night at 12:56 in the second. The first-year picked off a Potsdam clearing pass and turned back on net to fire one past Ryan Glander.
- The Bears pushed their lead to 4-1 with another power play goal with under two to play in the period.
- Anthony Merante scored 1:55 onto the final period to notch the eventual game-winner following sustained pressure in the Bowdoin zone.
- Seven minutes into play, Washco finished serving a penalty and received the puck behind the net on the right side. Washco made a wraparound move and stuffed the puck in at the far post.
- Two minutes later, Washco capped his hat-trick with a hard fought battle in front of the net to win the puck. The first-year put the puck past Glander as he was pushed to the ice.
- Bowdoin pulled the goalie in the final minutes and successfully converted with 1:18 remaining. Kyle Jadatz scored his first collegiate goal, tipping a shot from Sam Topham at the point.
- Potsdam iced the Polar Bears with an empty netter with ten seconds remaining.
By the Numbers
- Alex Zafonte played the first period in net for Bowdoin and made eight saves. Kyle St. Denis put together 18 stops in two periods of work.
- Glander made 22 stops for the Bears.
- Potsdam went 2-for-6 on the power play. Bowdoin was 1-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin plays at Colby on December 1 at 7:00 p.m.