BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team returned to the win column behind a 3-0 shutout of visiting Tufts University on Friday.
Alex Zafonte posted his third shutout of the season to help the Polar Bears improve to 4-5-0 (2-3-0 NESCAC). The Jumbos are still winless in the conference, falling to 1-6-1 (0-4-1 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin and Tufts traded chances in the second period, with Charley Borek trying to best Zafonte, only to see the first-year glove the puck away two minutes in.
- Anthony Farinacci intercepted a Bowdoin pass in Jumbos territory and fed Brendan Roy who earned an uncontested look at Zafonte. Roy's shot hit Zafonte's pads and trickled through wide of the post.
- After consistently challenging Nik Nugnes throughout the second period, Christian Capello tallied his first goal of the season 12:42 into the frame. Cody Todesco won a faceoff in the left circle and slid the puck back to Capello for a successful one-timer to the far post.
- Two minutes later Todesco recorded a goal of his own. Capello won the puck from a Tufts defender just outside the blue line and fed Todesco for a one-on-goal. The junior approached, forcing Nugnes to commit, and then buried a shot top shelf.
- Nugnes opened the third period with a sliding kick save to keep Bowdoin from adding to its score. Bradley Potter drew a Tufts defender and passed to Chris Wallace as he neared the right post. As Wallace looked to go far side, Nugnes kicked a pad out and deflected the puck away.
- With Tufts on the power play, Matthew Lison laid out and blocked a pair of shots from Cory Gottfried.
- Spencer Antunez added a third goal for the Polar Bears with 3:22 remaining in the game. Antunez dug the puck off the left boards in Jumbo territory and skated towards net, wristing a shot near side for the 3-0 lead.
By the Numbers
- Nugnes made 37 saves to keep the Jumbos close.
- Zafonte made 20 stops to extend his shutout streak to 128:07 minutes.
- Both teams were 0-for-3 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears host Connecticut College tomorrow afternoon at 4:00 p.m. Bowdoin will be hosting a fundraiser for United Cerebral Palsy of Maine and wearing special jerseys for the event.
- The Jumbos play at Colby beginning at 3:00 p.m. tomorrow.