Dec 01, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin men's hockey team fell 4-2 to Colby College in the series opener on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears fall to (2-4-0, 1-2-0 NESCAC) while the Mules climb to 3-2-0 (2-1-0 NESCAC).
- The Polar Bears scored first at 7:24 of the opening period on a rush up the ice by Austin Ricci. Ronnie Lestan stole a puck from a defender and pushed a quick pass to Spencer Antunez, who one-timed a pass to Ricci coming in on goal for the tipped shot.
- In a battle behind the goal to the left, a Bowdoin defenseman kicked the puck backwards directly to Cam MacDonald, who pushed a quick pass to Kienan Scott for a tough angle shot from the left side.
- Colby went up on a Michael Decker' 4:12 into the third. Phil Klitirinos came from behind the net on the play to get the puck to Decker, who tried to squeeze a pass in the middle to Justin Grillo for the shot. Alex Zafonte denied Grillo's shot, but Decker kept on buried the rebound at the left post.
- Bowdoin tied the game just 2:36 later. Camil Blanchet twice won the puck along the boards, finding Michael Brown behind the net. Brown came in around the right post for a wraparound pass to Daniel McMullan at the left post for a one-timer in front.
- Thomas Stahlhuth scored with 9:05 to play. Michael Rudolf won a face-off to the left of Zafonte. Rudolf won a loose puck behind the net and came out to get the puck to Stahlhuth in the slot for the score.
- Phil Klitirinos closed out the scoring with four seconds remaining with an empty net goal.
By the numbers
- Sean Lawrence finished with 34 saves, while Zafonte came up game with 31 stops.
- Bowdoin went 0-for-2 on the power play and Colby was 0-for-4.
- The two teams face off again on Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m. in Watson Arena.