Trinity Comes From Behind to Take Overtime Win in Men's Hockey

Connor Quinn recorded assists on three of Bowdoin's four goals
Connor Quinn recorded assists on three of Bowdoin's four goals

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Trinity College men's ice hockey team scored less than a minute into overtime to complete a 5-4 comeback win over Bowdoin on Friday night in Watson Arena.

The Polar Bears drop to 12-7-2 (7-7-1 NESCAC) as the Bantams improve to 17-4-0 (12-3-0 NESCAC).

While Bowdoin controlled the opening minutes of the first period, it was the Bantams who scored first with consecutive goals within a five minute span. Skating down the right side, Liam Mckillop crossed a pass to the opposite post for Ryan Cole to one-time at 5:11. Five minutes later on a man-up opportunity, John Hawkrigg sent the puck near right post for a quick cross pass from Jackson Brewer to Michael Flynn waiting on the opposite side. Flynn connected with the puck before Bowdoin's Steve Messina had time to slide across, allowing Trinity to take the 2-0 lead.

The Polar Bears offense responded with a power play goal two minutes later off the stick of Mitch Barrington. With John McGinnis controlling the puck behind the red line, he made a short pass to Barrington directly in front of the net to cut Trinity's lead to one. Bowdoin evened the score at 2-2 just 37 seconds later as Jay Livermore carried the puck inside Trinity's defensive end and sent a cross ice pass. Harry Matheson redirected the puck before Matt Rubinoff poked it past Nathaniel Heilbron for the equalizer. Moving the puck down the ice, Connor Quinn beat a Bantam defender at the blue line and skated freely into Trinity territory. As the defense began to close in around Quinn, he flipped a pass to Colin Downey who buried it giving Bowdoin the 3-2 advantage.

Downey tallied his second goal of the game 4:47 into the middle frame, backhanding a shot top shelf on Heilbron. Following a pair of loose rebounds off shots from Quinn and McGinnis, Downey extended Bowdoin's lead to 4-2. Trinity converted on its third power play of the day off an uncontested slap shot by Cole from the top of the circle to pull within one.

Bowdoin's maintained its lead for only 51 seconds of the third period before Hawkrigg and Cole combined to erase Bowdoin's previous two-goal advantage. Bringing the puck down the right once again, Cole slid a pass to Hawkrigg in the slot who wristed it over Messina's shoulder.

With the game in overtime, Trinity repeated its third period heroics scoring the winning goal with 24 ticks off the clock. Jackson Brewster's long cross-ice pass was settled by Sean Orlando on top of the right circle and wristed over a diving Messina to end the game.

Heilbron made 18 saves in net for the Bantams, with Messina stopping 32 shots for Bowdoin.

Trinity travels to Colby for a 3:00 p.m. game tomorrow afternoon, with the Polar Bears facing off against Wesleyan an hour later in Brunswick (4:00 p.m.).