BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Wesleyan University men's basketball team used a late 12-0 run to rally past Bowdoin, 74-65, on Saturday afternoon in Morrell Gymnasium.
The Cardinals finish the regular season with a 19-5 record (7-3 NESCAC) and will be the fourth seed for the upcoming NESCAC Tournament. The Polar Bears (15-8, 4-6 NESCAC) squeak into the tournament as the eighth seed and will head to top-seeded Amherst next Saturday for the quarterfinal round. Complete NESCAC Tournament pairings will be announced on Sunday.
- Wesleyan led throughout the opening half, but the squads traded blows as they both surpassed 50% from the field for the first period.
- The Cardinals led by as many as nine points following a Austin Hutcherson block, 16-7, but Bowdoin was able to trim the lead to four points, 37-33, at the break thanks to 56% shooting from three-point range in the opening 20 minutes.
- The teams traded buckets to open the second half before a quick Bowdoin spurt, capped by a pair of Zavier Rucker free throws, gave the Polar Bears their first lead at 45-44 with 13:45 to go.
- The squads went back and forth for the majority of the half with neither squad taking more than a four-point lead.
- Bowdoin took their final lead of the game with 6:15 remaining when David Reynolds buried a three-pointer from the corner to give the Polar Bears a 61-58 advantage.
- The Cardinals answered with a 14-0 run, taking the lead for good on a Jordan Sears lay-in with 4:45 to go. Nathan Krill's jumper from the foul line with a minute to go made it an 11-point game, 72-61.
- Bowdoin could get no closer than seven points in the final minute as Wesleyan clung to victory.
By The Numbers
- Nathan Krill scored a game-high 24 points, including 17 in the opening half. He connected on six three-pointers and also had six rebounds.
- Liam Farley celebrated Senior Day for Bowdoin with a team-best 21 points, including five three-pointers.
- Wesleyan also got double-figures from Jordan Bonner (16) and Austen Hutcherson (13) while Hutcherson also added eight assists.
- David Reynolds scored 19 points for the Polar Bears, who got a team-best seven rebounds from Jack Simonds.
- The Cardinals ended at 50% shooting for the game, including 12 three-pointers as a team while Bowdoin hit on 45%.
- Complete NESCAC Tournament details for both teams will be announced on Sunday.