WESTFIELD, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's basketball team got its 2017-18 season off to a strong start with an impressive 80-74 victory over St. Lawrence in the opening round of the Rick Martin – Holiday Inn Express Tip-Off Tournament Friday evening.
The Polar Bears (1-0) earn their first win of the season and advance to play the host Westfield State Owls in the title match on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. St. Lawrence falls to 1-1 on the season with the loss.
- The game was tight throughout but Bowdoin never trailed at any point in the contest.
- Bowdoin opened up a 31-24 lead at halftime, but the Saints crawled back, using an 11-4 surge to cut the Polar Bear lead to 38-37 with 16:02 to go.
- The Polar Bears replied with a three-pointer from Liam Farley to regain a four-point cushion
- St. Lawrence stayed within striking distance until a 12-3 spurt by Bowdoin, capped by a Hugh O'Neil layup, gave the Polar Bears a 12-point edge with 7:21 remaining.
- The Saints again chipped away, coming within one point with 3:43 left following a three-pointer by Riley Naclerio, only to have Bowdoin's David Reynolds sink a trifecta in reply.
- Bowdoin pushed the lead to as many as nine down the stretch and St. Lawrence could get no closer than six for the rest of the contest.
By The Numbers
- Jack Simonds was outstanding, scoring 24 points, including 10-10 from the free throw line to put the game on ice. He also grabbed seven rebounds for the Polar Bears.
- David Reynolds put home 13 points while Jack Bors and Liam Farley had 12 each. Hugh O'Neil led Bowdoin with 11 rebounds.
- Bowdoin held a 42-33 edge in rebounding and scored a crucial 14 second-chance points in the victory.
- Bowdoin will face Westfield State in the championship game of the tournament at 4:00 p.m. Saturday.