AMHERST, Mass. - Amherst's Johnny McCarthy hit a buzzer-beating three-pointer to give the Purple & White an improbable 66-64 win over Bowdoin on Friday evening.
With the win, Amherst improves to 11-4 overall, 2-2 in league action, while Bowdoin moves to 9-7 on the season, 1-3 in NESCAC play.
- Bowdoin led throughout the contest, holding Amherst to 28% shooting in the first half and getting nine first-half points from Jack Simonds to take a 32-23 lead at halftime.
- Amherst trimmed the lead to seven points early in the second half, but a quick 10-2 run, sparked by three-pointers from Simonds and Tim Ahn to take a 46-31 lead with 13:58 remaining.
- Bowdoin maintained their advantage until the six minute mark when Jack Bors hit a trifecta to give the visitors at 60-47 lead with 5:46 to go.
- Jayde Dawson answered with a three-pointer for Amherst, keying a 13-0 run for the hosts, as Dawson hit consecutive jumpers to give the Purple & White a 61-60 lead with just 37 seconds to play.
- Amherst hit a pair of free throws to extend their lead to 63-60 with 13 seconds to play but they were tagged with a technical foul on the ensuing play for six players on the court.
- Jack Simonds hit the technical free throw and Bors buried a go-ahead three pointer to give Bowdoin a 64-63 edge with just six seconds left.
- Amherst brought the ball upcourt quickly and McCarthy netted a three-pointer from the corner to give the Purple & White the win at the buzzer.
By The Numbers
- Dawson scored a game-high 27 points on 9-of-21 shooting including a pair of three-pointers and a 7-for-7 effort from the free throw line. He added five assists, four steals and four rebounds.
- Bowdoin was led by Simonds' 20-point effort, while Bors finished with 13, and Hugh O'Neil 10 points.
- O'Neil and Simonds were also the Polar Bears' leaders on the glass, notching eight and seven rebounds respectively.
- Tim Ahn dished out four assists, while Simonds added three helpers as the visitors shot 48.9% for the contest, 42.9% from three-point range (led by Simonds' 4-for-5 effort), and hit 80% of their shots from the foul line.
- Bowdoin will travel to Trinity for a 3:00 p.m. game on Saturday afternoon