Second Half Rally Pushes Trinity Over Bowdoin in Men's Basketball

Andrew Madlinger scored 15 points in Bowdoin's loss Saturday at Trinity
Andrew Madlinger scored 15 points in Bowdoin's loss Saturday at Trinity

HARTFORD, Conn. - The Trinity College men's basketball team converted down the stretch of a 69-67 victory over Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.

The Bantams improves to 8-10 overall and 2-3 in the NESCAC with their first win in three games and their first win over Bowdoin since the 2008 NESCAC Finals.  Bowdoin drops to 9-6 overall and 2-3 in the league with its third straight setback.

Sophomore center George Papadeas scored a team-high 18 points and added a game-high eight rebounds for Trinity. Matt Mathias paced Bowdoin with 18 points, while Andrew Madlinger totaled 15 points, four rebounds, and three assists. John Swords and Maximilian Staiger scored 10 points apiece for the Polar Bears.

With the game tied at 61-61 with 2:34 remaining after a jumper by Mathias, Papadeas hit a layup and freshman guard Jaquann Starks drilled a three-pointer from the right win to give Trinity a 66-61 lead.  Andrew Madlinger made three free throws and a three-pointer down the stretch, sandwiched around a pair from the charity stripe by Trinity sophomore guard Hart Gliedman and Trinity clung to a 68-67 lead with 30 seconds left. 

Trinity senior captain Mick DiStasio sank one of two free throws, and Bantam sophomore Mickel Simpson blocked Madlinger's bid for a tie from the left side with seven seconds on the clock.

Trinity used a 12-3 run early to turn a 10-9 deficit into a 21-13 lead, as sophomore forward Alex Conaway scored five points during the spurt.  Bowdoin fought back, tying the score at 27-27 with five minutes left in the opening half on a bucket by junior center John Swords and taking the lead back at 30-29 with 4:13 on the clock on a trey by Mathias.  Leading, 35-34, at the break, Bowdoin extended its lead to 46-36 after a three-pointer by Bryan Hurley five minutes into the second half, but Trinity rallied to tie the contest at 51-51 on a triple from the right wing by rookie guard Rick Naylor at the 8:29 mark, and the teams traded leads over the next six minutes.

Both teams shot over 50 percent from the finals but the teams combined to miss 17 of 42 free throws.  Trinity finished with a 29-22 edge on the boards.