WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team returned to the win column with a 4-1 NESCAC victory over Colby on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears improve o 9-2 (4-2 NESCAC), while the Mules fall to 6-5 (2-5 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin broke through 18:25 into the game on a penalty corner. Elizabeth Growney inserted the ball to Elizabeth Bennewitz at the top. Bennewitz fired a shot past Riley Whitmyer for the 1-0 lead.
- Six minutes into the second half, Abby Bashaw fired a shot from the top of the circle after carrying in on a free hit coming in. The ball bounced to Kara Finnerty who batted it out of the air and into the net.
- Three minutes later, Bennewitz fired a shot from the top on a corner and Finnerty deflected the ball in.
- In the 59th minute Finnerty put a shot off the left post and Growney put back the rebound.
- Colby spoiled the shutout in the final six minutes. Emily Hogan sent a flat pass across the goal face from left to right where Georgia Cassidy put in the Mules lone goal.
By the Numbers
- Maddie Ferrucci turned away six shots for the Polar Bears.
- Whitmyer made 15 stops for Colby.
- Bowdoin held a 25-10 edge in shots and 14-6 corner advantage.
- Bowdoin plays at Hamilton on Saturday with a noon start.