Oct 18, 2017
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey closed out its home regular season schedule with a 6-1 Wednesday night win over visiting Husson University.
The Polar Bears and Eagles both sit at 8-5 on the year.
- Emma Stevens scored her first of three goals just 1:15 into the game. Abby Bashaw quickly transferred the ball across the circle to Stevens who one-timed a shot past Husson's Anne Marie Provencal.
- The pair combined for another goal four minutes later as Bashaw dug the ball out from Provencal's feet and fed Stevens on the left side.
- Maggie Ford tallied her first assist of the evening as she swept a ball into the circle from just outside on the left. Kara Finnerty deflected the shot as it came past, putting it into the back of the net at 13:27.
- Finnerty sparked another goal twenty seconds later. The sophomore carried the ball towards the left end line and drew Provencal's slide tackle, allowing an open dish to Stevens at stroke. Stevens sent a shot towards net that Elizabeth Growney deflected in for the 4-0 lead.
- Stevens completed the hat trick at 20:14 as Finnerty found her with a reverse stick pass to the left post.
- Husson responded two minutes later with a solo effort by Lauren Russell. Russell collected her own rebound off the pads and put the ball in the net.
- Bowdoin's final goal came twenty minutes into the second half. Off a corner, Ford ended up with the ball low on the left and slid a cross towards the far side. Sarah Jane Weill deflected the ball for the Polar Bears sixth and final goal.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin outshot the visitors by a 20-4 margin and held an 8-2 edge in corners.
- Maddie Ferrucci made a stop for Bowdoin.
- Provencal made eight saves for Husson.
- The Polar Bears travel to Connecticut College for a 12:00 p.m. game on Saturday.
- Husson concludes the regular season on Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. home game against UMaine-Farmington.