Oct 04, 2017
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team cruised to a 6-1 victory over visiting UMaine-Farmington on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears improve to 6-2 while dropping the Beavers to 4-6.
- Elle Brine put Bowdoin on the board 5:18 into the game. Following some initial penalty corner play, Brine collected a rebound on the left side and put the ball back for her first career goal.
- The Beavers nearly responded a minute later as Jenessa Talarico looked towards the left corner of the cage. Her shot looked to be going in until Maddie Ferrucci made a diving stick save to turn the ball away.
- The Polar Bears doubled their lead at 7:20 as Abby Bashaw finished off a feed from Sarah Jane Weill. Weill pushed a through pass into the center of the circle for Bashaw who one-touched home a goal.
- Bashaw found Emma Stevens for Bowdoin's third. The pass came from the top of the circle to Stevens just inside the stroke, who made a spin move and flipped a reverse stick shot past Alyssa Arsenault.
- Four minutes later, Kara Finnerty notched a solo effort after weaving between the Beaver defense.
- Weill closed out the half with a solo effort and opened the second with another.
- Following five consecutive corners for UMF, Kasey Talarico put away a loose ball on the right post.
By the Numbers
- Goalies split time for both teams. Ferrucci had one save and Eva Verzani made a pair of stops.
- Arsenault and Frizzle each made a two saves.
- The Polar Bears play at Trinity on Saturday, beginning at 11:00 a.m.
- The Beavers host New England College on October 7 at 2:00 p.m.