BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team concluded its 2018 season with an 8-3 win over nationally-ranked USM on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears end the year at 16-17. The 18th-ranked Huskies (27-11) continue their season as the three-seed in the Little East Tournament on Wednesday.
- Brendan O'Neil put Bowdoin on the board in the bottom of the third, doubling to center, and driving in Eric Mah. Connor Lee followed up with a double to left that drove in both O'Neil and Joe Gentile.
- Ma doubled to center in the fourth and drove in two more runs for the Polar Bears, stretching the lead to 4-0. Gentile's sacrifice fly to deep left pushed another run across the plate. Lee rounded out the inning with another RBI double.
- Sawyer Billings blasted a solo homerun over the right center fence to conclude Bowdoin's scoring for the day, making it 8-0 in the fifth.
- The Huskies gained some offensive momentum in the sixth with a pair of runs. Jake Dexter laid down a bunt that Devin Warren came home on. Zack Quintal added an RBI sacrifice fly to center.
- USM's final run came home on an error in the eighth.
By the Numbers
- Brandon Lopez pitched his second complete game of the year, allowing eight hits with four strikeouts. The junior did not walk any Huskies.
- Ryan Worthington lasted just 2.1 innings and allowed three runs with a pair of walks and three hits.
- James Sinclair led the USM pitching staff with 2.2 innings of work and five strikeouts, allowing 2 hits.
- O'Neil went 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Lee was 3-for-5 with three RBI and a pair of doubles.
- Jack Wilhoite and Sawyer Billings both went 2-for-4.
- Warren led the Huskies lineup, going 3-for-4.