WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team split its Saturday doubleheader at Colby to conclude NESCAC East action.
The Polar Bears (14-16 overall, 6-6 NESCAC) opened up a 10-0 lead in the opening game in taking a 12-3 victory. Colby (10-22-1, 3-9 NESCAC) scored eight runs over the course of three innings to pull away 10-4 in game two.
Game One Highlights
- In the opener, Max Vogel-Freedman pitched a complete game, allowed just four hits, and struck out five.
- After Bowdoin loaded the bases with one out in the first inning, Sawyer Billings had a two-run single to left field to bring in Eric Mah and Colby Joncas. Jack Wilhoite doubled to left to score Evann Dumont-LaPointe and Billings for a 4-0 lead. After stealing third base, Wilhoite scored on a sacrifice fly from Sean Mullaney.
- The Polar Bears added five more runs in the top of the fourth to go up 10-0. Bowdoin again loaded the bases and got another run on a fielder's choice ball hit by Joncas. Dumont-LaPointe walked with the bases loaded to score the seventh run. Billings tagged a bases clearing double.
- The Mules scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning on Tyler Mulberry's two-run double. However, Bowdoin answered with two runs in the top of the fifth on a double from Dumont-LaPointe.
- Arsenault had the final run of the game in the fifth inning when he led off with a home run to left field.
- Billings had five RBIs, two hits, and two runs for the Polar Bears. Ben Suski, Mah, and Wilhoite also had two hits.
- Mulberry finished with two hits and two RBI for the Mules.
Game Two Highlights
- Colby tallied 14 hits in the second game. Taimu Ito had eight strikeouts and two walks in 5.2 innings of work.
- Mulberry had three hits, drove in a pair of runs, and scored one run for Colby. Ben Coleman and William Wessman each had two hits, one run, and one RBI. George Schmidt scored a pair of runs, had one hit, and one RBI.
- Colby Joncas had two hits and two RBI in the second game for the Polar Bears. Sean Mullaney also had two hits, while Brandon Lopez scored two runs and had one hit.
- The nightcap was tied 1-1 after two innings. Joncas had an RBI single to right field to bring in Lopez in the top of the first. Wessman doubled and later scored on a wild pitch for the Mules in the second inning.
- Colby went ahead for good with a pair of runs in the fourth inning. Wessman had an RBI single to bring in Matt Garcia, while Andrew Sterup later scored from third on a double play.
- Bowdoin loaded the bases in the top of the sixth and scored as Nick Sadler was hit by a pitch.
- Bowdoin scored twice in the top of the ninth. Joncas had an RBI single and Evann Dumont-LaPointe had a sacrifice fly to right field to score the other run, but the Polar Bears were unable to catch the Mules.
- The Polar Bears play at Southern Maine on Tuesday with a 4:30 p.m. start.