BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team jumped out to a commanding first inning lead and never looked back in an 11-4 Monday evening game against Thomas College.
The Polar Bears collect their fifth straight win to climb to 11-12 on the season. The Terriers fall to 3-23.
- The Bowdoin bats came alive in the bottom of the first as the team exploded for seven runs. Sawyer Billings put the Polar Bears on the board with a two-run double to center. Sean Mullaney followed up with a two-run single and Bjorn Hansen drove in two more off a triple to right center. Matt Whalen capped the inning with an RBI single.
- The Terriers pushed two runs across the plate in the following inning. Hank Vinall doubled to left to push a run across the plate and Dylan Ursino added an RBI groundout.
- Bowdoin matched Thomas with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning. Billings and Mullaney each recorded RBI singles. Billings drove in his fourth run of the night in the third inning, lofting a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Joe Gentile.
- Despite a strong wind blowing in from left field, Alex Curtis cleared the fence for a solo homerun in the fourth inning.
- Ejazz Jiu dove in Bowdoin's final run of the game in the seventh inning. Jordan Gibson gave Thomas one last run in the last inning, tagging an RBI single.
By the Numbers
- Vinall and Rett Adams both recorded doubles for the Terriers. Ben Suski and Billings each had a double for Bowdoin.
- Billings went 2-for-3 with four RBIs, while Mullaney went 3-for-3 with three RBIs.
- Curtis and Vinall both went 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Jonah Gorgone suffered the loss with 11 hits and 10 runs in three innings. Gorgone struck out three.
- Justin Schachter got the start for Bowdoin and went three innings. Schachter allowed three hits and two runs. Duncan Finigan led the Polar Bear bullpen with three strikeouts in an inning of work.
- Bowdoin plays at Husson on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m.
- Thomas plays at Division I UMaine-Orono on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.