BRUNSWICK, Maine – Ben Suski hit a walkoff homerun in the bottom of the twelfth inning to complete the series sweep for Bowdoin against Trinity on Saturday evening.
The Polar Bears (10-12, 3-3 NESCAC) collected their first series sweep of Trinity (12-12, 3-6 NESCAC) since 2011. Bowdoin held on for an 8-4 win to open the day and outlasted the Bantams 11-10 in twelve innings for game two.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin jumped out to an 8-0 lead following four innings of play, but surrendered four to Trinity in the top of the fifth.
- Three Polar Bear runs came in the bottom of the second as Ejazz Jiu put the team on the board with a bases loaded groundout RBI. Joe Gentile walked with the bases loaded and Colby Joncas took first after being hit by a pitch, to drive in the next two runs.
- Eric Mah laid down a sacrifice bunt in the third, scoring Sawyer Billings, and Sean Mullaney later scored following a Jiu single.
- Bowdoin's final three runs came in fourth. Billings recorded an RBI double to left , while Jack Wilhoite and Mullaney each tagged an RBI single to right.
- Trinity cut the lead in half in the following inning. Johnny Stamatis hit a single to center to drive in a run and Nick Dibenedetto bounced a shot off the top of the outfield fence and back into play for a three-run double.
- Max Vogel-Freedman pitched 5.1 innings and gave up nine hits. Vogel-Freedman recorded four strikeouts and no walks.
- Trinity combined for ten hits, paced by Dibenedetto who went 2-for-3 with three RBIs.
- Billings and Wilhoite both went 3-for-4 at the plate with an RBI each. Mullaney was 3-for-3 with an RBI. Billings had a pair of doubles.
Game Two Highlights
- After trailing 7-3 through five innings, the Bantams came back to take a 10-9 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. Jiu tagged an RBI single to right to extend the game.
- Bowdoin went up early in the bottom of the first as Joe Gentile recorded an RBI groundout. Trinity responded in the top half of the second off an RBI double from Carter Snyder.
- The Polar Bears put up four runs in the second. Jiu drove in a pair of runs with a double and Brandon Lopez drove in Jiu with double to center. Gentile singled to center to push Lopez across the plate.
- The teams traded runs in the third. Matt Koperniak and Mah each had an RBI single.
- Tyler Forgione singled through the left side, producing another run for Trinity in the fourth and Wilhoite homered to center for Bowdoin in the fifth.
- Forgione and Ryan Vultaggio each pushed a run across the plate in sixth to continue chipping away at Bowdoin's lead. Joncas got one run back for the Polar Bears in the bottom half of the inning.
- Trinity exploded for a four-run seventh inning to take its first lead of the game. Dibenedeto doubled down the leftfield line to start the scoring for the Bantams. Alex Rodriguez sent a sacrifice fly to center and Vultaggio blasted a two-run shot over the leftfield fence for the lead.
- Mullaney tied the game with an RBI single to right in the bottom half of the inning.
- The Bantams took a 10-9 lead in the top of the eighth off a passed ball.
- Jiu extended the game with an RBI single to right in the bottom of the ninth. Trinity escaped the bases-loaded situation to force extra-innings.
- Trinity survived another bases loaded situation in the bottom of the eleventh, but Suski's leadoff homerun in the twelfth inning sealed the deal for Bowdoin.
- Trinity's pitching staff combined for 10 strikeouts, paced by McLane Hill who tallied five in 2.2 innings of work. Bowdoin recorded seven strikeouts with Whilhoite closing out the game and earning the win with five.
- Trinity plays at Western Connecticut State on Monday night at 5:00 p.m.
- Bowdoin remains at home for a 4:15 p.m. Monday matchup against Thomas.