LEESBURG, Fla. – The Bowdoin baseball team swept Gordon College in a pair of Thursday afternoon games, winning the opener by a 4-1 margin before earning the 5-2 game two victory.
The Polar Bears climb to .500 (3-3) with the wins. Gordon drops to 3-5 following the two-game setback.
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Evann Dumont-LaPointe tagged an RBI double to left that drove in Nick Sadler to put the Polar Bears ahead.
- Sawyer Billings drove in Jack Wilhoite in the following inning off another double to left.
- Colby Joncas capped Bowdoin's early scoring with a two-run single to right center that allowed Dumont-LaPointe and Brandon Lopez to score.
- Gordon spoiled the shutout as a seventh inning balk allowed Addison Tarr to come home.
- Connor Lee earned his first career win on the mound for Bowdoin, allowing four hits with four strikeouts and no runs. James Speer threw the final inning and allowed one run.
- Dumont-LaPointe, Joncas, and Billings paced the Polar Bears by going 2-for-3 at the plate. Cody Todesco had a pair of stolen bases.
Game Two Highlights
- Gordon broke through first, going up 1-0 in the bottom of the second off an RBI groundout by Christian Hodge.
- The Polar Bears took their first lead of the game in the following inning as Sean Mullaney recorded an RBI groundout. Nick Sadler advanced to third on Mullaney's ball and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- Bowdoin doubled its run tally in the fifth. Lopez doubled to right center, scoring Mullaney, and Dumont-LaPointe drove in Lopez during the following at-bat.
- Lopez drove in another run in the final inning off his second double of the day.
- Gordon mustered one final run in the bottom of the seventh, but could not complete the rally.
- Colby Lewis earned his first career win on the mound after five innings of work. Lewis recorded three hits, as many strikeouts, and two walks. Connor Rooney and Wilhoite each pitched an inning in relief.
- Lopez was 2-for-4 at the plate with two doubles, two RBI, and a stolen base.
- The Polar Bears next face Babson at 1:30 p.m. for a Saturday doubleheader in Auburndale, Florida.