MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Bowdoin baseball team concluded its 2016 season with a doubleheader sweep at Middlebury on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears end their season at 22-14 following the 6-0 and 3-0 victories over the Panthers. The Bowdoin pitching staff held Middlebury (11-21) to just seven hits over the two games to secure the wins.
Game One Highlights
- Jack Wilhoite put Bowdoin on the board in the top of the second, driving in Chad Martin with an RBI single to left.
- Joe Gentile doubled the Polar Bears lead with a double down the right field line in the following inning.
- Bowdoin produced four runs in the final inning. Luke Cappellano got the Polar Bears rolling with a one-run double to left followed by a Colby Joncas RBI. Gentile tagged his second double of the day and drove in two more runs.
- Brandon Lopez pitched a complete game for Bowdoin with seven strikeouts and four hits allowed.
- Colby Morris pitched all seven innings for Middlebury and gave up 10 hits while recording one strikeout.
- Gentile went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a pair of doubles. Martin and Sean Mullaney each went 2-for-3.
Game Two Highlights
- The Polar Bears outhit the Panthers 7-3 in game two.
- Martin drove in the game's first run, scoring Lopez, with a double down the left field line in the top of the second. Wilhoite followed with a single to left that allowed Martin to score.
- Bowdoin held on to its 2-0 lead until the sixth inning when Lopez scored on a passed ball to extend the lead.
- Michael Staes earned the win on the mound with six innings of work and three strikeouts. The senior allowed two hits. Kyle Stanley earned the save with his work in the seventh.
- John Bunting suffered the loss on the mound for Middlebury after surrendering seven hits. Bunting collected six K's.
- Lopez went 2-for-3 while Martin and Mullaney each went 2-for-3.