BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bates baseball team jumped out early and never relinquished the lead in an 11-4 Friday afternoon non-NESCAC game at Bowdoin.
The Bobcats (13-20) saw Samuel Warren produce on both sides of the ball as he earned the win on the mound and went 4-for-5 at the plate. Sean Mullaney paced the Polar Bears (20-14) offensively with three RBIs off a pair of hits.
- Bates scored three runs in the top of the first, sparked by a two-run homer to left field off the bat of Warren. Jake Shapiro tagged an RBI single before the Polar Bears could record the third out.
- Brendan Fox began the Bobcats scoring in the following inning with a two-run single to right. Warren quickly drove in his third run of the game with a single to center. Shapiro curled a triple down the right field line, driving in two more runs, to give Bates an 8-0 lead.
- Bowdoin got on the board in the bottom half of the inning behind a Mullaney single to right that scored Colby Joncas.
- Brandon Lopez lofted a sacrifice fly to left in the third, scoring Cody Todesco, to double Bowdoin's run count.
- Ryan McCarthy hit a leadoff homer to left in the sixth and Fox later scored on an error to extend the visitors' lead.
- The Polar Bears matched Bates with two runs in the bottom of the inning off a single by Mullaney to center.
- Warren crossed the plate in the nineth to record the team's final run.
By the Numbers
- Harry Ridge pitched six innings for Bowdoin, allowing 11 hits and ten runs, while recording four strikeouts and a walk.
- Duncan Finigan closed out the game for the Polar Bears with three innings of work with as many hits allowed.
- Warren earned his first win of the season on the mound for Bates, pitching five innings and giving up a pair of runs. Warren tallied eight strikeouts and a walk.
- Shapiro matched Warren with three RBIs. Mullaney drove in three for Bowdoin.
- The Bowdoin baseball team completes its season on Saturday afternoon with a non-conference doubleheader at Middlebury. The first pitch is scheduled for noon.
- The Bobcats host Williams in a pair of divisional crossover games tomorrow beginning at 12:00 p.m.