BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team broke open a tie ballgame in the bottom of the seventh to secure a 6-2 win over visiting Saint Joseph's College of Maine on Wednesday afternoon.
The Polar Bears improve to 19-10 on the season with the team's seventh consecutive victory and halt a five game winning streak for the Monks (20-11).
- The Monks jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. With Taylor Reullard on second behind a fielder's choice and stolen base, Dennis Meehan tagged a double to center to drive in the runner.
- Bowdoin evened the game in the second. With Sean Mullaney on second, Jack Wilhoite drove a fly ball to right field that was misplayed and allowed the run to score.
- Saint Joseph's took its second lead of the game in the following inning. Meehan stood in scoring position after singling up the middle and stealing second. Nic Loops drove in the run with a single that deflected off the pitcher.
- The Polar Bears again tied the game, this time with a sacrifice fly to center off Mullaney's bat.
- Brandon Lopez gave Bowdoin its first lead of the game in the bottom of the seventh. With runners on second and third, Lopez singled to right and cleared the bases.
- Chris Nadeau followed with a double down the leftfield line that scored Lopez. Mullaney rounded out the inning with an RBI single up the middle that pushed Nadeau across the plate.
By the Numbers
- Grayson Jennings started on the mound for the Monks and pitched 5.1 innings with two runs and five hits allowed. Jennings tallied seven strikeouts and two walks.
- Riley Cox was responsible for Bowdoin's game-winning run and pitched one inning with two walks and a strikeout.
- Jacob Stein started for Bowdoin and pitched four complete innings with two strikeouts and a walk. Stein allowed two runs and four hits.
- Duncan Finigan, Connor Rooney, Michael Staes, Ryan Dixon, and Kyle Stanley all pitched a complete inning for Bowdoin. Staes earned the win with his appearance in the seventh inning. Rooney recorded two strikeouts and Finigan one.
- Chad Martin and Lopez each had a double in the game, while Nadeau had a pair.
- Meehan had a double for Saint Joseph's as well as an RBI.
- Bowdoin hosts Tufts in a three-game NESCAC series beginning on Friday at 3:00 p.m.
- The Monks travel to Norwich for a Saturday doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.