BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College baseball team extended its winning streak to five with a doubleheader sweep of Williams on Saturday. The Polar Bears claimed game one, 2-0, before taking game two 4-3.
Bowdoin stands at 17-10 overall this spring while Williams falls to 9-16.
Game One Highlights
- A pitcher's duel in game one saw Bowdoin's Harry Ridge edge Williams Luke Rodino thanks to a pair of runs in the sixth inning
- Scoreless heading into the sixth, Chris Nadeau opened with a leadoff single and moved to third on an error by Rodino. Cody Todesco pinch ran for Nadeau and scampered home on a wild pitch to give Bowdoin a 1-0 lead
- Later in the inning, Chad Martin delivered an RBI single to score Luke Cappellano to give Bowdoin a two-run cushion
- That was all Ridge needed as the senior southpaw completed the seven inning-shutout by scattering seven hits but getting the Ephs to ground into four double plays, including one with the tying run at the plate in the seventh. He struck out six batters in the win.
- Rodino allowed one earned run over six frames in the loss, striking out eight batters
- Brandon Lopez went 2-3 for Bowdoin while Doug Schaffer went 2-3 for Williams
Game Two Highlights
- Williams rallied for two runs in the ninth inning of game two, but Bowdoin scored the game-winning in the bottom of the tenth to take a 4-3 win in the nightcap
- Tied at one heading into the sixth, Bowdoin plated two in the sixth to take a 3-1 lead. Evann Dumont-LaPointe tripled to center field, scoring Chad Martin. Ejazz Jiu then scored Dumont-LaPointe with a doubled down the left field line
- The Ephs tied the score in the ninth thanks to a two-out, two-run single. With Jackson Parese and Alex Panstares at second and third with two away, Beau Horan delivered a clutch single to left center, scoring both and forcing extras
- Bowdoin finished it off in the tenth when Cody Todesco doubled to lead off the frame. Cappellano moved him to third with a sacrifice bunt and Joe Gentile singled to right-center to clinch the win for the Polar Bears
- Brandon Lopez got the no-decision for Bowdoin after tossing 8.2 innings, allowing three earned runs. Tyler Duff got a no-decision for Williams with 7.0 innings of work, allowing three earned runs
- Kyle Stanley tossed a perfect tenth for Bowdoin with two strikeouts for the win while Arnie Capute took the loss, allowing the game-winning run in the bottom of the frame
- Chad Martin and Dumont-LaPointe had two hits each in the win for the Polar Bears
- The teams will finish off their three-game set with a single game at 12:00 p.m. Sunday at Pickard Field