BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin baseball team jumped out to an early four run lead in the first inning and cruised to an 8-2 win over visiting Husson University on Thursday afternoon.
The Polar Bears collected their third consecutive victory and improve to 15-10. The Eagles suffered their third straight loss and fall to 15-14 on the season.
- Bowdoin quickly had runners on the corners in the bottom of the first with no outs on the board. Chad Martin drove in Luke Cappellano with a double through the left side and pushed Brandon Lopez to third. Lopez covered the final 90 feet on a balk.
- Peter Cimini lofted a sacrifice fly to left that drove in Martin and Colby Joncas doubled to right to drive in Bowdoin's fourth run of the inning.
- Joncas reached on a leadoff single in the bottom of the fourth and made his way to third off an error and wild pitch. Joncas later scored as Stephen Girolamo chopped a shot to third.
- Leading 5-0, the Polar Bears put up their final three runs of the game in the fifth. Lopez led off the inning with a single to right center and scored soon after on an RBI triple by Martin.
- Peter Cimini singled to drive in Martin and later scored on a sacrifice fly to left off the bat of Joe Gentile.
- Husson got on the board in the top of the sixth. Mike Wong stood on first following a one-out walk and quickly sored off an RBI double to right center from JT Whitten.
- The Eagles doubled their run tally with an RBI single by Cam Archer in the following inning.
By the Numbers
- Michael Staes earned the win on the mound for Bowdoin with six complete innings. The senior allowed just three hits and one run while earning four strikeouts.
- Tommy Burns surrendered six hits and seven runs in four innings of work. Burns tallied three strikeouts.
- Bowdoin outhit the Eagles by an 8-4 margin. Husson committed four errors, while the Polar Bears had a pair.
- Joncas was 3-for-4 at the plate, while Martin and Cimini led the way with two RBIs apiece.
- Whitten had a pair of doubles for the Eagles.
- Bowdoin hosts Williams in a non-conference doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon.
- Husson remains on the road with a weekend series at Castleton, beginning on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.